Use the Above Links to Browse Through Air India Information
Cabin Baggage/Carry-on Baggage/Hand Baggage Allowance
Only 1 piece of cabin baggage is currently allowed on all Air India flights. The sum of the length, width and height of the hand baggage should not exceed 55cms X 40cms x 20cms. The maximum weight of your hand baggage should not exceed 8 kgs. Due to current security regulations, liquids, gels, pastes or items of similar consistency are NOT allowed in the cabin baggage on any Air India flights. However medicines and inhalers are allowed in the cabin baggage, only if they are accompanied by a doctor’s prescription. Baby/Infant food is allowed. Also note that sharp items like, scissors and pocket knives and weapons of any kind are not allowed in the cabin baggage.
Checked-in Baggage Allowance
First Class – 40 kgs
Executive Class – 30 kgs
Economy Class – 20 kgs
Infants – In all classes infants are allowed 1 piece of check-in baggage not exceeding 10 kgs. In addition to the check-in baggage, one collapsible stroller or infant car seat is allowed as cabin baggage.
In all cases, any one piece of check-in baggage should not exceed 32 kgs. So, if you are travelling First Class on Air India, and want to avail the 40 kgs allowance, you will have to carry 2 pieces of check-in baggage, one 32 kgs and one 8 kgs.
Piece Concept for passengers traveling to and from USA/Canada
Piece Concept of checked-in baggage allowance applies to you if you are traveling to USA/Canada or vice-versa on Air India.
The Baggage allowance on Air India flights for passengers traveling to USA/Canada and vice versa is as below:
First Class and Executive Class Piece Allowance for USA/Canada travelers on Air India
- 2 Pieces, each weighing maximum of 32 kgs or 70 pounds. Total allowed 32+32 = 64 kgs
- The sum of length, width and height of each piece should not be more than 158 cms or 62 inches.
Economy Class Piece Allowance for USA/Canada travelers on Air India
- 2 Pieces, each weighing maximum of 23 kgs or 50 pounds. Total allowed 23+23 = 46 kgs
- The sum of length, width and height of both pieces should not be more than 107 inches or 270 cms.
Piece Allowance for Infants (All Classes) traveling to USA/Canada
- 1 piece
- The sum of length, width and height of the piece should not be more than 115 cms or 45 inches.
- In addition to 1 piece, any ONE of the following items is allowed for infants: a) A Collapsible Stroller. b) A Push Chair. c) Infant’s Carrying Basket or, d) Infant’s Car Seat Permitted as Registered baggage. The Infant’s car seat may be carried in the passenger cabin.
Excess, Oversized or Overweight Baggage
If you have more than the permitted allowance, or if your bags exceed the permitted weight or dimensions, you will be charged extra for either or both excess weight and excess size. For excess weight baggage Air India charges 1.5% of the highest economy fare per kilogram on your sector as excess baggage charge.
Excess Baggage Charges Example:
If the direct economy fare on your sector is INR 5,000, you will be charged 1.5% of 5,000, i.e INR 75/kg as excess baggage charge.
For more Air India Baggage information please see Air India Baggage Rules page.